Facebook estimates that, overall, it now underreports iOS web conversions by around 8%, up from 15% in September 2021. The company cited increased adoption of best practices as the primary reason for the improvement.
Why we care. While this number may vary for individual advertisers, 8% is about half of 15%, which means iOS conversion reports have improved a lot for Facebook advertisers. Still, that’s not entirely accurate, which could mean conversions may be higher than reported for some businesses.
Additionally, Facebook expects some degree of underreporting to remain within its baseline.
Why is Facebook underreporting. The social media company cited Apple’s iOS privacy changes as one of the reasons for its reduced reporting capabilities. App Tracking Transparency allows iOS users to request that apps not track their activity, which limits the ability of Facebook (and other apps) to track users for advertising purposes.
Facebook has expressed opposition to Apple’s privacy measures and even ran full-page newspaper ads against the changes.
Recommendations for better web conversion campaign reporting. For more accurate conversion reports, Facebook recommends advertisers running web conversion campaigns:
- Integration with Conversions API – This can create a direct connection between your marketing data (from your server, website platform or CRM) and Facebook.
- Check all domains – This can be especially important for cross-domain conversions (i.e. websites that use forwarders or geo-redirects).
- Allow plenty of time before analyzing campaign performance – Due to the nature of delayed data and modeled reporting, Facebook recommends waiting at least 72 hours (or however long the optimization window you have). selected) before evaluating performance.
- Align conversion events with campaign priorities – The order of your events in Event Manager should reflect your priorities (for example, if shopping is your most important goal, make sure it’s in first place) .
Recommendations for better app conversion campaign reporting. For those running app conversion campaigns, Facebook recommends:
- Using a 24-hour conversion window – This helps Facebook’s systems optimize for faster, more predictable feedback cycles.
- Optimizing for your business goal – Poor categorization of your goal can make it harder for Facebook to optimize for that goal.
New to Search Engine Land