The shutdown of Amazon-owned web ranking platform Alexa has bolstered several other alternative platforms that were not considered until now. According to web experts, some of the alternatives, which include Similarweb, Semrush, SpyFu, among others, provide better website insights compared to Alexa.
Alexa ranks websites and has been for generations of SEO practitioners the first port of call for “content research, competitive analysis, keyword research. However, the company in December last year announced that it would close on May 1, 2022.
The company followed through on its plan when it closed on May 1, leaving a message on its website that reads: “We retired Alexa.com on May 1, 2022, after more than two decades of helping you find, reach and convert your digital audience. Thank you for making us your go-to resource for content research, competitive analysis, keyword research and more.
What the experts say
- Speaking to Nairametrics, TechNavel founder Mr. Muritala Bello noted that Alexa has lost its usefulness hence the shutdown. He said: “Alexa was no longer profitable for Amazon, and that’s why they shut it down. The reality is that with the latest SEO software containing all the features you can find on Alexa, the platform has lost its usefulness.
- There are several other platforms that offer the same services offered by Alexa, some even have more features than Alexa”, he added.
- Also speaking, a web expert, Mr. Kayode Arowolo said: The release of Alexa marks the end of an era but the beginning for many other platforms offering the same service. Now, people can explore other alternatives, some of which even offer better services. Obviously, many businesses in Nigeria have relied on Alexa, but they can also achieve the same result on a platform like Similarweb, so nothing changes.
Alternatives to Alexa
Although there are over 20 platforms that offer similar services like Alexa, according to industry experts, here are 5 of the best alternatives:
1. Similarweb (www.similarweb.com)
Is a simple web traffic comparison all you need? Start with Similarweb. With Similarweb, you can view region, country, and category rankings for millions of websites, as well as geo-specific engagement and traffic metrics.
2. Semrush (www.semrush.com)
Semrush is a popular content marketing platform with powerful website analytics and SEO tools. Launched in 2008, it has a comprehensive feature set that helps marketers with SEO, market research, and paid search campaigns. Semrush is trusted by millions of digital marketers worldwide and is a viable alternative to Alexa.com for keyword research and traffic analysis.
3. Ahrefs (www.ahrefs.com)
Ahrefs is a household name in the digital marketing community and another popular Alexa.com substitute. SEO experts love the Ahrefs platform for its ability to monitor web rankings and help with optimization, competitive analysis, and keyword research.
Ahrefs is widely recognized for its quality data metrics; the platform monitors nearly 12 billion keywords across 10 different search engines.
4. SpyFu (www.spyfu.com)
Another Alexa.com alternative worth checking out is SpyFu. SpyFu lets you track keyword rankings, view competitor PPC keywords, check organic competitors, check competitor backlinks by keyword, and much more.
Once you have gathered the data, you can choose to export it as an Excel, CSV or PDF file. While the free version has a decent feature set, the premium subscription gives you unlimited access to data, data exports, over a decade of historical data, and API access.
5. Ubersuggest (www.neilpatel.com/ubersuggest)
For those new to the world of web traffic ranking, consider beginner-friendly platform Ubersuggest. With Ubersuggest, you get domain insights, a dashboard of top-ranking pages, keyword suggestions, content ideas, and backlink history.
While the service isn’t as feature-rich as the others on this list, Ubersuggest is still a solid choice thanks to its clean UI and capabilities in its free version.